community / 58 posts found

community activities

Community Activities | getting children involved

by Kitty Jellinek
Getiing children involved in local community activities can boost your child’s self esteem, confidence and help them to build new skills. It is also a great way to broaden your child’s knowledge. You can get your child involved by firstly selecting activities that your child is already familiar with and loves. For instance, lets say your child has a love of horses – however your circumstances prohibit the purchase of a horse for your child. Organize a family outing to a place where they are giving pony rides for disabled children. Ask the organizer whether your child could help with […]
beautiful neighbourhoods and communities

Good Neighbours | Local Communities

by Kitty Jellinek
Comments are off for this post.
Really good neighbours watch out for each other. They ask each other for advice, and offer to help, especially on matters that impact the larger neighbourhood. They respect each others’ boundaries but are quick to assist in a crisis. They look for opportunities to collaborate and to socialize. Great neighbours make for great neighbourhoods, and it is well worth the effort. Local community living conditions are greatly improved overall, when people treat each other with consideration.
Eric Whitacre

Music and the perception of self in a community.

by Kitty Jellinek
There is a definite relationship between music and the perception of self in a community. The music of a given time period tends to reflect the emotions, political scheme, socioeconomic strife and ethical perspective of the society. It has the power to communicate beyond words. To evoke emotion, promote development and create a sense of identity and culture. For a good example of community effort and music Visit: Africa-Angel City Chorale  With so much in the world being handled in digital media, what is the role of choirs in creating real community between individuals? Composer Eric Whitacre answers Classical MPR’s Brian […]
special announcement

Special Announcement for Local Community Businesses

by Kitty Jellinek
As a web developer, over the years I have identified a stumbling block for small local community businesses, concerning their online promotional efforts – or should I say the lack of them. When discussing web development with a prospective client I have always emphasised the need for ongoing maintenance and promotion of their site. Usually these discussions were with the business owner or manager, who were very capable people at running their business – but with no experience in internet marketing. Some of them assigned a staff member to follow my recommendations on how to promote their own website. Others […]
Local Business

Mikode Local Community Network Sites Help Local Businesses

by Kitty Jellinek
What a lot of people fail to realize today is that the well being of local businesses affects everyone economically.   The main reason why people shop in chain stores within their own localities, rather than at the local business outlets is twofold. 1] People mistakenly think that the chain store in their locality is a local business. 2] Local businesses can’t compete with the monopolistic advertising of the super stores. Above is today’s Woolworth’s online catalogue – For area 4221. When I see this type of advertisement I ask: ½ prices, compared to what norm? Is this ½ the […]
Basball

Community Discussion About Decency

by Kitty Jellinek
Ten Years ago I published the following article. I am publishing it again, here today, as I believe it is just as pertinent in 2015 as it was in 2005. At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning disabled children, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he offered a question. “When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot […]
Spectacular Fireworks display over Sydney harbour 2012

Happy New Year 2015

by Kitty Jellinek
Happy New Year To All at Mikode May 2015 bring you joy and prosperity. And to start it off here is a song to make your heart soar into 2015.

Merry Christmas To The Community Of Mikode

by Kitty Jellinek
I want to take this opportunity to thank all our loyal subscribers and readers for participating in interactions at Mikode. I especially want to thank Dr. John Carlyle and his wife; without their financial support over the past three years this site would not exist. Wishing everyone peace, love and joy over the Christmas festive season and for the New Year 2015.
Close

Request For My Information

Close

Request For Account Deletion

Close

Request For Information Deletion

Close

General Request / Query To DPO